On Friday September 25th, DJNO is hosting Syrus Marcus Ware and Megan Linton to speak on how disability justice and prison abolition are tied to one another.
About this Event
Youth from the Disability Justice Network of Ontario will be facilitating an online conversation with Syrus Marcus Ware and Megan Linton to talk about how disability justice and abolition are inseparable from one another. This discussion will be in the form of a panel involving Syrus, Megan, and a couple youth from DJNO. This event will take place on Zoom, and will run for about an hour and a half.
Register here: https://www.djno.ca/abolition
- CART (Communication Access Real-Time Translation) captioning will be available for the full duration of this event
- ASL (American Sign Language) Interpretation will be available for the full duration of this event
- All attendees will be required to turn off their sound and video (unless they are speaking during the question and answer period) to ensure that the speakers and ASL interpreter are on screen.
- This event will be recorded and posted to DJNO's Facebook and website with captioning.
- This event is free to attend.
Featured Guests: Syrus Marcus Ware:
Syrus Marcus Ware is a Vanier Scholar, a visual artist, community activist, researcher, youth-advocate and educator. For 12 years, he was the Coordinator of the Art Gallery of Ontario Youth Program. Syrus is currently a facilitator/designer for the Cultural Leaders Lab (Toronto Arts Council & The Banff Centre). He is the inaugural artist-in-residence for Daniels Spectrum (2016/2017). Syrus is also a core-team member of Black Lives Matter Toronto.
Syrus is sitting on a stool, gazing into the camera, smiling slightly. The photo is black and white.
Megan Linton is a disabled and mad femme, from Treaty 1 territory in Winnipeg. She is a masters of public policy and administration student and a disability justice advocate. She loves sprinkle donuts, mad activism and coffee with milk.
Megan is smiling into the camera, and wearing a maroon coloured shirt.